Gig Review: Save Your Breath

Sadly, this'll be my first and last live review for Save Your Breath. The guys have unfortunately decided to call it a day but not without first doing a string of farewell shows. I knew there was no way that I could pass this up, especially at the bargain price of <£10. So late last month I went to The Asylum, Birmingham to see them.

First up supporting was Welsh rockers - Cardinals. I'd heard of their band quite a bit actually despite the unexpectedly small Facebook following, so when they started playing I was listening out for some familiar songs. I didn't hear any but the songs I did hear sounded decent. The backing vocalists harmonies were a bit off throughout and some sections were a little shaky but all in all it was a great warm up set. I'd actually love to see what they'd be like in a headlining position because there was a lot of potential in their set and they seemed like good guys. There could have been a little more energy at points but nonetheless it was a good warm-up set.

Next up was the band that seems to be taking the world by storm - As It Is. I'm still shocked as to how quickly they've blown up. I've been following Patty (lead singer) on YouTube for a while and it wasn't until after I'd bought this ticket that I even found out that he was in a band, let alone supporting SYB. So it's safe to say that I was excited to see them perform live in this tiny venue (before they go global). They were welcomed on stage by intermittent girlish screams and "tough guys" rolling their eyes, but the set was BIG!! Mid way through I thought "These guys will be playing Reading & Leeds this year 100% hands down." (you heard it here first). But yes these guys have the potential to not just play Reading but eventually main stage it. Great songs in their arsenal and awesome energy and stage presence. Their latest single "Dial Tones" was a highlight. I'd definitely advise catching a show ASAP if you can because before long you'll have to pay a lot more than £6 to catch them.

Finally, the whole reason for the occasion - Save Your Breath. This was one of the biggest glass shattering moments I've had in a long while. They hugely surpassed my expectations. I've been listening to them a while and as good as their studio material is, it is 10x better live! You can really tell that they've been a band for a while because they stole the show. They had amazing and comfortable stage presence, huge energy - everything just came so naturally to them. They opened with a favourite of mine - "Lessons" - I was juiced! They continued to play through hits, old and new, as the sweaty, tiny and packed room jumped and screamed with them. I've been to smaller gigs before but this felt like one of the most intimate. The lead singer of Cardinals joined them on stage for a song towards the end of the set and all of a sudden had tonnes of energy! Shouting and even crowdsurfing - I couldn't help but wish that he had that same energy during their opening set! Either way, during the last song Kristian joined us all in the crowd moshing and singing the lyrics to the classic "Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy" in unison. Certainly, if you have to go, that's the kind of note you want to leave on. BIG! They will be sorely missed... great musicians!

Overall Rating - 8.5/10


Here are some pictures from the night... 


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment